“The towns you pass thru are filled with generous people who want to see you succeed just as much as the family of hikers you are sharing your journey with.” Thomas G. Kelley Jr., 2013 Thru-hiker
The Appalachian Trail Community™ program is designed to recognize communities that promote and protect the Appalachian Trail (A.T.). Towns, counties, and communities along the A.T.’s corridor are considered assets by A.T. hikers and many of these towns act as good friends and neighbors to the Trail. The program serves to assist communities with sustainable economic development through tourism and outdoor recreation, while preserving and protecting the A.T.
Designation as an Appalachian Trail Community™ and participation in the program is aimed to:
- Engage community citizens, Trail visitors and stewards
- Recognize and thank communities for their service to the Trail and hikers
- Act as a catalyst for enhancing sustainable economic development
- Aid local municipalities and regional areas with conservation planning
- Help local community members see the Trail as a resource and asset